In episode 3 of our Pic-A-Star Build, we install the components for the RS232 interface and start installing the components for the DSP and CODEC section.
I find that I made a mistake and installed a 10K thermistor instead of a 10K resistor in the audio amp section, so first I remove that and replace it with the correct component.
I have found that I prefer the 0805 component size over the 1206 or 0603 size. The 1206 is a little big and doesn’t give you as much wiggle room as the 0805 and the 0603 are just a little small for my tastes. Call it the Goldilocks syndrome or something, but next time I order, I know what I am going to try to spec.
On the Combo P1 boards, in the DSP section there is a capacitor that isn’t marked real well, it is C199, I point that out in the video. I also discover that I need to pay attention to the soldering tabs. When you put the components on, make sure the long part of the tabs are a crossed from each other. The space is tight, so sometimes the markings are twisted around and if you are not careful, you can mount them in the wrong direction.
The voltage check in the final section checked out correctly, so next step will be to burn the EPROM with gmon.hex and mount it along with the DSP chip and the CODEC chip. I am waiting for the CODEC chip, since I had to order it from overseas. So it may be a week or two before we move on. In the meantime, I will do a video about burning the EPROM.